It all started in Dallas when I studied Interrupted, by Jen Hatmaker. I have done many Bible studies in my life, but this one left a deep heaviness on my heart. This book challenged us to serve the poor and how Christians are neglecting this important Biblical act we are called to do. Jen was a pastor’s wife who was involved in a church, who was convicted of just "Blessing the Bless”, when there is so much poverty in the world and in our own cities that are not being reached. Jen and her husband’s life was interrupted when the Lord lead them to start a church in Austin. They are meeting the needs of people spiritually and physically. The Lord gave them a vision of being a barefoot church. I love that vision! I was not sure what to do with all of this information and statistics on poverty. Was I suppose to sell my house and my clothes? Did I need to go find poor people and meet their needs? What does this look like when I’m pregnant? ( I was preggo with Quinn at that moment.) What is Robby going to say when I tell him I am going downtown to meet with the homeless? It was very convicting, because I was not doing much to help the need, except for giving money here and there. This is where the seed was planted.
Then, we moved to Houston and I started reading the Radical, and the same questions entered my mind again. I felt like the Lord was not letting me get comfortable or settled in Houston. I wanted this so bad, and I did not understand why it was so difficult. I knew the Lord was stirring something in me at this moment, but it was still frustrating.
Now, it all make sense. This is where the embarking on a new adventure comes in. Our Sunday School teacher and his wife are planting a church in Houston. They invited Robby and I to come be a part of this church plant. We felt really honored and humbled to even be asked. We had our first meeting in March. Curtis and Amanda shared their vision the Lord had given them for this church, which was exactly what I have been desiring in a church. Robby and I got in the car after the meeting, and sat quiet for a moment. Finally, Robby asked, “What do you think?” And we both came to the decision that we were both IN. There is no way we could pass up such an incredible opportunity. It felt so good for both of us to be on the exact same page. This is where the Lord was leading us both, such a sweet spot!!
The new church is called Bayou City Fellowship!! The church will open September 11,2011. Right now, we are meeting with the core team to pray and prepare for the opening of the church. Are we nervous? Yes. Are we excited? Yes. Do I feel like this is crazy? Yes. There are so many emotions that come along with this, because this is something we have never done before. Robby and I have been in church our whole lives!! We know what it looks like to attend, but this is different because we are not going to church for it to serve us and meet our needs. It is the exact opposite. We will be “The Church,” serving others and meeting people’s needs in our community. I feel like this is what the Lord has been preparing me for the past couple of years. The Lord is doing some incredible things in Bayou City Fellowship. We feel so honored to plant this church with some AMAZING, SOLID, AUTHENTIC people. Please be praying for the team, the church, and the community. May God be the the Glory for the Great things he has done, and will continue to do! AMEN!
2 comments:
Katie! This is awesome. So proud of you for being obedient in this HUGE step of faith. Sounds like He has big stuff ahead for your family - excited to hear more. Love you friend.
Praying for you and the church! Very exciting...wasn't sure after our last phone convo if you had decided :-) so I'm glad I read this. It is truly life changing when church becomes more about serving and less about your needs. LOVE IT! Excited to hear about what God is doing.
Post a Comment